Problem: A regional healthcare facility approached Pure Flow with a few problems:
1) Newly installed sterilizer was experiencing “staining" due to hardness deposits which were accelerating degradation of key stainless steel components within the machines.
2) Existing laboratory was frustrated with benchtop lab water system consumable requirements, as filters and resin cartridges need to be changed out very frequently.
The facility’s team had explored SDI (service deionization) based solutions with a large national provider of DI water. The organization was not transparent about the replacement requirements for direct feed SDI given total usage and water quality on site.
Solution: Pure Flow quickly calculated estimated annual costs for an SDI solution and proposed an RO/DI based solution as an alternative. It became clear that adding RO prior to the DI would lead to a < 2 year return on investment vs. straight SDI. When viewed in the context of supporting the lab and central sterile processing, RODI was a clear choice for the following reasons:
1) The Pure Flow proposed central RODI provides continuously recirculating deionized water meeting minimum resistivity specifications for sterilizer OEM.
2) Recirculating system included UV for bacteria management and sub-micron final filtration to enable a solution meeting AAMI TIR 34 guidelines
3) Central system is easy to disinfect in order to maintain facility bacteria/endotoxin goals
4) Water sent to lab from loop is easily polished to 18+ megohms per lab requirements (ASTM Type 1a)
Pure Flow worked in conjunction with AmeriWater to design a system comprised of the following equipment: carbon pretreatment (cartridge), reverse osmosis, exchange DI tanks, storage tank and recirculation pump, 254 nm UV, 0.2 micron absolute final filtration, online quality monitoring.
The facility chose to partner with Pure Flow to install a new RODI system with a recirculating loop. The partnership resulted in controlled high purity water feeding central sterile applications and meeting all OEM requirements for water quality. Loop drop to lab provided high purity water for lab applications dramatically improving the life of lab water system consumables.